Unfortunately in the industry we are in, it is very hard to be eco friendly. However it is a passion of ours and we like to be as conscious about it as we can.
Here are a few steps we have taken to be more sustainable:
- We carbon offset by planting a tree for every order placed online or in store - see our growing forrest here
- We try to re-use packaging that is sent to us by suppliers where possible
- The packaging we do buy, is 99% recyclable, if there is an option for a recylable or more green version, we do buy it. Even if it costs more. For example, our plastic brown tape is actually waterbased glue and not solvent. Our pallet shrink wrap is clear rather than died black and made from 30% recycled content.
- All our electricity provided by a supplier that only uses renewable sources
- We separate and recycled as much of our waste as possible.
- We search for eco alternatives where possible see our eco range of products here
-We challenge our suppliers if their packaging is wasteful or has unnecessary plastic, hoping for change!
- Thankfully Duotone, Fanatic and ION are conscious of their impact and have many initiatives. including save our playgrounds and carbon offsetting their larger products.
- We not only organise beach cleans yearly but Lucy in her own time weekly cleans our local beach or any beach we are at when walking our dog Peggy
- Our sister company, founded by Sam - South East Signage designed and manufactured the worlds first recyclable watersports material for creating eco-friendly sail stickers.
Duotone's Sustainability Pledge
Our business is creating watersport's products. It is what we love and we know how to do it well. We have spent almost four decades developing, designing and refining cutting-edge products that have helped shape modern kiteboarding, wing foiling and windsurfing. Unfortunately, by creating the products we love, we are harming the very environment we need to practise our sport. Watersport's products and the processes necessary to create them are not environmentally friendly. As kiteboarders, wing foilers and windsurfers, we feel connected to our oceans, lakes, and rivers and we see first-hand the damage we are doing to our planet. We depend on our natural environment and, in turn, we believe it is our responsibility to protect it.
This is why we have made it our mission to breathe sustainability into our corporate structure at Duotone. We recognise that we have only scraped the tip of the iceberg with what we can do as a company and we plan to bring everyone along with us as we venture down this path to a more sustainable future. As we find success with less harmful new materials or processes, it is our hope that others will follow suit and we can be part of a transition to a new greener industry overall.
We believe we can achieve our mission to create positive social and environmental change by analysing each component of our business and continually asking ourselves the question, how can we do it better? In the context of B&M’s economic efficiency, sustainability is understood as a continuous process that is integral to corporate strategy and not a temporary objective. Part of this process will inevitably be to overcome challenges as they arise, and we look forward to sharing our successes and failures openly because we can all learn from both outcomes.
We feel it is our responsibility to take action and do what we can to save our playgrounds before it is too late. And we invite everyone to join us in this endeavour.